Saturday 18 October 2014

Muck Monsters 2014

The yard was a hive of activity today as Apparently there is a  on petition there tomorrow, which I hadn't realised till I saw the food stands & tents set up when I got there today. This made bringing my girls in fun, especially after we navigated the work site in front of their field. Including all kinds of heavy machinery - thankfully at a standstill otherwise they would've stayed where they were ... I don't have a death wish, leading the pair of them in together along a public road is challenging enough without adding in actual heavy machinery to the mix.

Muck Monster #1
They were happy as two pigs in muck when they got in as you can see from the photos, they had had a great couple rolls, so I had my work cut out for me to clean them up for tack. I groomed them both together and half-tacked Kika up (saddle) before popping Nancy on the walker while i started with Kika (as she sweats so much she needs more time to dry out after). Kika was super, we just covered the basics of walk/trot/canter as there were two others in the arena with us who were getting a lesson so i was conscious of staying out of the way as best I could. She didn't put a hoof out of line at any stage, she stumbled from time to time but that was more my fault than hers as i doubt I had her revved enough as i was keeping an eye on others so she probably dozed off & fell over her own feet.

Muck Monster #2
Kika got a shower and then spun in the walker while Nancy got some saddle time. We also covered the basics of walk, trot and canter. It was my first time in weeks playing with Nancy's canter, and unlike then we didn't fluff our lead departs. Woop woop! However we had random issues and our spin was cut short as people asked to set up jumps, which wasn't a problem for me, but then one of the owners came to ask for them to be dismantled so that he could drag the arena. Unusually for N she had a spook as one of the girls doing the fences was at the entrance waiting for us the canter passed before coming in to the arena. N didn't see her till the last minute as she had been  concentrating on her canter work so when the girl moved in N's peripheral vision she scooted and broke from the canter, but came back to me wonderfully. It is so surprising to me when she spooks as it happens so rarely lol. Bless her she really is so sweet even when she comes in with half the field clinging to her ;-)


12 comments:

  1. omg! i bet they enjoyed the mucking about!

    what a good girl Nancy! Glad you are posting again!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That they do, I try to only rug them if it's really wet and even then for the purely selfish reason that their backs will be dry so i can ride *blush*

      Nancy is a good girl, K wouldn't have been able to concentrate at all with all the coming & going. Bless her short attention spam - to be fair to her though, prob something she inherited from me lolz

      Delete
  2. sounds like fun relaxing rides! for whatever reason, isabel has been coming in all dirty lately too - and she NEVER gets dirty... what gives, girls???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine love rolling in the muck, plus they live out 24/7 till the end of this month, so if they lie down at any stage...hello muck monsters ☺

      Delete
  3. Ahhh....mud monsters. I have two of them myself these days! :)
    Glad you had a nice ride. Funny how it always seems like the stuff that you had trouble with magically gets better with a little time away. My girl picked up a lovely canter first try as well today, after having a few days off to think about life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably has more to do with me as rider than the horse though. I'm sure I'm all kinds of tense & crooked leading up to the things we normally flail at thereby throwing her off by consequence.
      Vicious cycle eh? ;-)

      Delete
  4. It's not just you who had trouble with the canter. Chrome and I are still figuring it out hehe. It sounds like both girls were great! At least you got a workout getting all of the mud off of them lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need to figure out which feet go where huh? ☺
      That I did get some workout scrubbing, who needs a gym membership when we have horses?

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Mhm, was afraid to go near them today. We're due rain overnight & tomorrow so hopefully the elements will clean them for me. Then tomorrow evening I can toss their Amigo sheets back on them in the hopes i can get some spins in this week

      Delete
  6. It's that time of year again. Ugh mud. I'm glad that they were both good girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to tie them outside this evening (Yay for dry weather) as no space indoors when we arrived. However also meant no light which is prob just as well ad the amount of muck i inhaled leads me to believe they were dirtier then Saturday!

      Delete

I love to hear from readers, thank you for your comment :-)